- At the International Conference, 'Women's Work in Music', to be held at Bangor University in early September, Rhian's Phantasy Trio (vin, cello, piano) will be performed by members of Ensemble Cymru (4th Sept.). The following day, she will present her work, Clytemnestra, recently broadcast on BBC and about to be placed on CD by BBCNOW, Jac van Steen, conductor, and Ruby Hughes, soprano.
- The second of the 2017 youth courses run by Cerdd for the National Youth Brass Band of Wales and the National Youth Choir of Wales took place in Monmouth at the lovely Haberdashers' Girls' School in late July. Cerdd composer-in-residence this year, the post generously supported by the Colwinston Foundation. The brass band under conductor Ian Porthouse gave the première of her new piece, Taliesin, at the Grand Pavilion, Porthcawl, on Sunday, 30th July. The will play Taliesin again at the North Wales International Music Festival in October.
- The choir, directed by Neil Ferris, sang four of Rhian's Emily Dickinson settings, Lovesongs and Observations, in two concerts, at St Mary's Church, Swansea, on 29th July, and St Mary's Priory Church, Monmouth, on 30th July.
- Rhian Samuel's setting of George Herbert's poem, 'Love bade me welcome', was released in May, 2017 on a new CD from New College Choir Oxford, director Robert Quinney. The CD, The Gate of Heaven: Favourite Anthems of New College Choir, is on the Novum label, NCR1391
|RS, Neil Ferris and NYCW|
- The first of the 2017 youth courses run by Cerdd for the National Youth Training Choir of Wales and the National Youth Wind Orchestra of Wales took place at the Haberdashers' Girls' School, Monmouth, in mid-April, 2017. Works performed at the two concerts, at Monmouth Priory and at the University of Swansea, were Rhian's two Walt Whitman settings for choir and organ, The Gossamer Thread and A Clear Midnight, recently published by Tŷ Cerdd, the new clarinet quartet, Locomotion (pub. Stainer & Bell), and the new work, On this Precious Earth for wind orchestra.
|RS with Liz Toye, |
conductor of NYTCW
- Several of Rhian's vocal pieces with piano were performed in February, 2017. They include Cerddi Hynafol/Ancient Songs (Siân Dicker, GSMD), 'In Memoriam' from A Swift Radiant Morning (John Ieuan Jones, RNCM) and The Gaze (Gillian Keith, Holywell Music Room, Oxford).
- On 25 August, 2016, Rhian's song-cycle, Wildflower Songbook, was presented at the Machynlleth Festival (director, Julius Drake), by Anna Stéphany (soprano) and Sholto Kynoch (piano), the performers who gave its première last summer at the Oxford Lieder Festival (see EARLIER. . . ). The work sets poems by the award-winning Anglo-American poet, Anne Stevenson. It was broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on 8 September, 2016, and will be recorded for a CD in September, 2017.