A River, for soprano, baroque or modern oboe, viol (or cello) and harpsichord, an audience commission from the Walthamstow Music in the Village concert series in 2008, will be performed there again (in the early-instrument version) on January 25th, 2023. Gillian Keith will be the featured singer.
Gregoriana, an anthology of organ music ed. Anna Lapwood, pub. Stainer & Bell, has received the Presto Music 'New Publication of the Year' Award. It contains Rhian's Rejoice: Fantasia on 'Victimae Paschali Laudes' for solo organ.
In October 2022 Rhian attended the festival, 'L'Ombra Illuminata: Donna nella Musica', as the featured guest at the 'Conservatorio Niccolò Piccinni' in Bari, Italy. Several of her works were wonderfully performed there. Before the concert she was interviewed on stage by Prof. Mariacarla De Giorgi, University of Salento. Later in the month, at the Wigmore Hall in London, Summer's Leave, was premiered by Elgan Llŷr Thomas, tenor, Rosalind Ventris, viola and Ian Tindale, piano, in a concert to celebrate the Ludlow Festival.
Following the release of Jeremy Huw Williams's CD, Songs of Earth and Air: the vocal works of Rhian Samuel (Lorelt) in August, Tŷ Cerdd's disc, Unbroken Threads, which includes Rhian's Violin Sonata was launched at a concert at Powis Hall, Bangor, on 5th September, 2022. A CD of music played by the Tailleferre Ensemble containing Rhian's Little Duos for Oboe and Cor Anglais will be launched at the Royal Academy of Music, London, on 25th Feb. 2023.
- My Heart Beside for medium/high voice, viola and piano, three pieces to poems by Emily Dickinson, pub. Ty Cerdd. The first of these was premiered at the Wigmore Hall in October 2022 (see above).
- Rhyfedd, rhyfedd / Wonder, wonder (2020) for SATB chorus and organ, pub. Vol. 3, Multitude of Voyces, ed. Louise Stewart, the Welsh text by the renowned 18th-century poet, Ann Griffiths, and the English translation by the composer. This work has now also been published separately by Stainer & Bell in their series, Choral Now.
- Rejoice: Fantasia on 'Victimae Paschali Laudes' for solo organ. In Gregoriana, ed. Anna Lapwood, pub. Stainer & Bell (see above)
- Songs of Earth and Air: the vocal works of Rhian Samuel (Lorelt). A CD made by Jeremy Huw Williams, baritone, Paula Fan, piano, and instrumentalists on the Faculty of The University of Arizona. Works on the disc are Songs of Earth & Air, Spring Diary, Moon over Maenefa, Summer Songs, A Swift Radiant Morning and Rondeau. A total of 18 songs. Many thanks to Jeremy for his initiative in creating this CD, and to all who supported it, including a number of British trusts.
- Rhian's Violin Sonata, played by Mary Hofman and Richard Ormrod, on Tŷ Cerdd's disc, Unbroken Threads, launched at Powis Hall, Bangor, on 5th September, 2022.