'The Therapy of Moonlight', no.1 of the piano suite, A Garland for Anne (2002), is now on the ABRSM Grade 7 syllabus; as well as the ABRSM's published recording and that of Chenyin Li, who recorded the suite for the CD Light and Water in Rhian's presence LISTEN there are now at least 13 performances of the piece on YouTube. In late January 2021, Rhian will give an on-line presentation of the piece to performers and teachers in Australia and China.
- The solo baritone piece, Moon over Maenefa (2020), commissioned by the Royal Academy of Music for its 200th anniversary and published by Tŷ Cerdd. Text by Gerard Manley Hopkins. The premiere, scheduled for last November, has been postponed.
- The anthem 'Rhyfedd, rhyfedd / Wonder, wonder' (2020) for SATB chorus and organ pub. Vol. 3, Multitude of Voyces, ed. Louise Stewart. The anthem is suitable for Christmas and the year round, the Welsh text by the renowned 18th-century poet, Ann Griffiths and the Engish translation by the composer. The first performances in Welsh and English, respectively, by the choirs of Jesus College, Cambridge, and New College, Oxford, have been postponed. 'Rhyfedd, rhyfedd' will also be published separately, later in 2021, by Stainer & Bell, in their series, Choral Now.
- Isolation Suite (2020) for solo piano, is also published by Tŷ Cerdd: score. Not very difficult, and rather tonal. It has been recorded for by five international pianists,a movement each. The video is on YouTube.
- The Shape of Trees (2020) for SATB chorus, commissioned by the BBC for the BBC Singers and published by Stainer & Bell in their series, Choral Now. This was performed and broadcast on BBC Radio 3 in March, 2020.
- The Moon and I (2020) a set of four songs for medium voice and piano, to poems by Tabitha Hayward and Anne Stevenson, commissioned by the Ludlow English Song Weekend, also published by Tŷ Cerdd. Performance postponed until April 2021 (see below).
- Salve nos (2020) for solo viola, written for Berlin-based violist, Hiyoli Togawa, for a CD for BIS Records, Songs of Solitude, to be released in March 2021; the score will published by Tŷ Cerdd.
- Orpheus (2020), two songs for voice, lute and viol to poems by Tabitha Hayward, the poet for three of the songs in The Moon and I (see above). This work will be premiered in 2021 and published by Tŷ Cerdd.
- Rejoice! (fantasia on the plainsong, 'Victimae Paschali Laudes'), for solo organ, for an anthology of works by women composers ed. Anna Lapwood, to be published by Stainer & Bell.
- A re-arrangment of Ymddiddan / Dialogue, originally for two pianos-four hands, for two pianos-eight hands. This is for performance in the coming months by a London group of pianists (more later!). The original duo is published by Stainer and Bell.
2021: More postponed / rescheduled concerts
The premiere of The Moon and I, commissioned by the Ludlow English Song Weekend (director, Iain Burnside), has been re-scheduled for April 2021, now with singer Kathryn Rudge accompanied by Iain. Also in the 2021 festival, in another re-scheduled concert, James Atkinson and Gamal Khamis will perform Rhian's Spring Diary (S&B, 2010), a set of five songs to poems by Anne Stevenson. New dates for the premieres of Moving Images, originally scheduled for October 2020 in Aberystwyth will be announced soon.
CDs issued last year:
The CD, Clytemnestra (BIS/Naxos) which includes the voice & orchestra cycle, Clytemnestra, has had a wonderful reception: it was short-listed for a Gramophone Award, 2020, and received fabulous reviews with *five stars* in The Times and BBC Music Magazine, great write-ups in The Gramophone, Guardian/Observer, Telegraph, BBC Radio 3's In Tune and Record Review (on two programmes, with Gillian Moore and Sara Mohr-Pietsch, respectively), on Discotable (Netherlands Radio 4), Hong Kong's Radio 4, and online journals such as The Arts Fuse (Boston, USA) and Music Web International, and a Gramophone podcast by James Jolly. Rhian talks about Clytemnestra in a video published by BIS on Facebook at https://fb.watch/2WDxZDbDjm/ The CD was issued on 4 January, 2020. Rhian's work, performed by Ruby Hughes, soprano, with BBC NOW conducted by Jac van Steen, was broadcast again on BBC Radio 3 on Thursday 15 October, 2020. It was previously broadcast in March, 2020 and Sept. 2019. It's available at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000nc7k
The Guardian/Observer included a complimentary review of the CD, Song-Lied-Cân (Tŷ Cerdd Records): issued on 6 December 2019, it contains the three songs of The White Amaryllis (May Sarton), the 5 songs of The Flowing Sand (Samuel Beckett) and 'Yr Alarch / The Swan' (anon) as well as some beautiful lieder by Clara Schumann. The singers are Katharine Dain and Paul Carey Jones, the pianist, Jocelyn Freeman. All wonderful performances. Available on Spotify. Four other CDs are in the works!