Another airing for 'Clytemnestra' (from the BIS CD -- see below) on BBC Radio 3, on the Lunchtime Concert on Wednesday, 20 January, 2021 -- the day of momentous events in the USA. Very à propos!
'The Therapy of Moonlight', no.1 of the piano suite, A Garland for Anne (2002), is now on the ABRSM Grade 7 syllabus; as well as the ABRSM's published recording and that of Chenyin Li, who recorded the suite for the CD Light and Water in Rhian's presence LISTEN there are now at least 13 performances of the piece on YouTube (with over 20K hits). In late January 2021, Rhian gave an on-line presentation of the piece to performers and teachers in Australia and China.
- The solo baritone piece, Moon over Maenefa (2020), text by Gerard Manley Hopkins, published by Tŷ Cerdd.
- The anthem 'Rhyfedd, rhyfedd / Wonder, wonder' (2020) for SATB chorus and organ pub. Vol. 3, Multitude of Voyces, ed. Louise Stewart. The anthem is suitable for Christmas and the year round, the Welsh text by the renowned 18th-century poet, Ann Griffiths and the Engish translation by the composer. 'Rhyfedd, rhyfedd' will also be published separately, later in 2021, by Stainer & Bell, in their series, Choral Now.
- Isolation Suite (2020) for solo piano, also published by Tŷ Cerdd. Not very difficult, and rather tonal. It has been recorded for by five international pianists, a movement each. LISTEN.
- The Shape of Trees (2020) for SATB chorus, commissioned by the BBC for the BBC Singers and published by Stainer & Bell in their series, Choral Now. This was performed and broadcast on BBC Radio 3 in March, 2020. LISTEN
- The Moon and I (2020) a set of four songs for medium voice and piano, to poems by Tabitha Hayward and Anne Stevenson, commissioned by the Ludlow English Song Weekend, also published by Tŷ Cerdd.
- Salve nos (2020) for solo viola, written for the Berlin-based violist, Hiyoli Togawa, for a CD for BIS Records, Songs of Solitude, to be released on 5 March 2021; the score will published by Tŷ Cerdd at the same time.
- Orpheus (2020), two songs for voice, lute and viol to poems by Tabitha Hayward, the poet for three of the songs in The Moon and I (see above). This work will be published by Tŷ Cerdd.
- 'Yr Alarch / The Swan' for solo voice (2009/16) will shortly appear for the second time on disc: Elen Manahan Thomas will sing it on a CD entitled Taliesin Song Book, to be issued by Tŷ Cerdd in June. It also appears on the CD, Song/Lied/Cân, where it is sung by baritone, Paul Carey Jones (see below).
- Rejoice! (2021, fantasia on the plainsong, 'Victimae Paschali Laudes') will appear in an anthology of works for solo organ, ed. Anna Lapwood, to be published by Stainer & Bell.
- A re-arrangment of Ymddiddan / Dialogue (1998), originally for two pianos-four hands, now for two pianos-eight hands. This is for performance in the coming months by a London group of pianists (more later!). The original duo is published by Stainer and Bell.
Postponed / rescheduled concerts
- The premiere of Moon over Maenefa, sung by Marcus Dawson, baritone, and commissioned by the Royal Academy of Music for its 200th anniversary, has been re-scheduled for 31 March, 2021 at the Angela Burgess Concert Hall at the RAM. This will be online. Details here.
- The premiere of Moving Images, three pieces for violin and piano commissioned by Carol Nixon for Elena Urioste and Tom Poster, has been rescheduled for 5 October, 2021, at the Great Hall, Aberystwyth University.
- The premiere of The Moon and I, commissioned by the Ludlow English Song Weekend (director, Iain Burnside), has been re-scheduled for 30 October, 2021, now with singer Kathryn Rudge accompanied by Iain. Also in the 2021 festival, in another re-scheduled concert, James Atkinson and Gamal Khamis will perform Rhian's Spring Diary (S&B, 2010), a set of five songs to poems by Anne Stevenson.
- The premiere of Orpheus for soprano, lute and viol will now take place at the RAM in the summer of 2021, exact date TBA.
- The first performances of 'Rhyfedd, rhyfedd / Wonder, wonder' in Welsh and English, respectively, by the choirs of Jesus College, Cambridge, and New College, Oxford, have been postponed. New dates TBA.
CDs issued last year:
The CD, Clytemnestra (BIS/Naxos) which includes the voice & orchestra cycle, Clytemnestra, has had a wonderful reception: it was short-listed for a Gramophone Award, 2020, and received fabulous reviews with *five stars* in The Times and BBC Music Magazine, great write-ups in The Gramophone, Guardian/Observer, Telegraph, BBC Radio 3's In Tune and Record Review (on two programmes, with Gillian Moore and Sara Mohr-Pietsch, respectively), on Discotable (Netherlands Radio 4), Hong Kong's Radio 4, and online journals such as The Arts Fuse (Boston, USA) and Music Web International, and a Gramophone podcast by James Jolly. Rhian talks about Clytemnestra in a video published by BIS. The CD was issued on 4 January, 2020. Rhian's work, performed by Ruby Hughes, soprano, with BBC NOW conducted by Jac van Steen, was broadcast again on BBC Radio 3 on Thursday 15 October, 2020 and again on 20 January, 2021.
The Guardian/Observer included a complimentary review of the CD, Song-Lied-Cân (Tŷ Cerdd Records): issued on 6 December 2019, it contains the three songs of The White Amaryllis (May Sarton), the 5 songs of The Flowing Sand (Samuel Beckett) and 'Yr Alarch / The Swan' (anon) as well as some beautiful lieder by Clara Schumann. The singers are Katharine Dain and Paul Carey Jones, the pianist, Jocelyn Freeman. All wonderful performances. Available on Spotify. Four other CDs are in the works!