Rhian has recently attended the festival, 'L'Ombra Illuminata. Donna nella Musica', as the featured guest at the 'Conservatorio Niccolò Piccinni' in Bari, Italy. Several of her pieces were wonderfully performed there by staff and students. Before the concert she was interviewed on stage by Prof. Mariacarla De Giorgi, University of Salento. Later in October, her work, Summer's Leave, was premiered by Elgan Llŷr Thomas, tenor, Rosalind Ventris, viola and Ian Tindale, piano, at the Wigmore Hall, London, in a concert to celebrate the Ludlow Festival.
Following the publication of Jeremy Huw Williams's CD, Songs of Earth and Air: the vocal works of Rhian Samuel (Lorelt) in August, Tŷ Cerdd's disc, Unbroken Threads, which includes Rhian's Violin Sonata was launched at a concert at Powis Hall, Bangor, on 5th September, 2022.
- Rhyfedd, rhyfedd / Wonder, wonder (2020) for SATB chorus and organ, pub. Vol. 3, Multitude of Voyces, ed. Louise Stewart, the Welsh text by the renowned 18th-century poet, Ann Griffiths, and the English translation by the composer: this work has now been published separately by Stainer & Bell in their series, Choral Now.
- Rejoice: Fantasia on 'Victimae Paschali Laudes' for solo organ. In Gregoriana, ed. Anna Lapwood, pub. Stainer & Bell.
- Three Welsh Folksongs/Tair Cân Werin, for SSA women's choir. Commissioned by 'Dare to Sing' Choir, Cwmdare, Aberdare, pub. Tŷ Cerdd.
- Dear Night (Henry Vaughan) S(+solo)ATB chorus. A revised version of the work originally published with organ. Recorded for broadcast by BBC Singers in April 2022. Pub. by Stainer & Bell.
- Orpheus for voice, lute and viol (or voice, guitar and cello) (2021). Two songs, texts by Tabitha Hayward. Pub. Tŷ Cerdd. Influenced by 16th/17th century composers, including John Dowland. Performance now on YouTube.
- Salve nos for solo viola (2021). Now on CD (see below). Pub. Tŷ Cerdd.
- Moon over Maenefa (2020) for solo baritone, text by Gerard Manley Hopkins, pub. Tŷ Cerdd. Commissioned by the Royal Academy of Music as part of its 200th anniversary celbrations.
Other Recent Performances
- The Chorale Prelude, 'Valet will ich dir geben', by William Whitehead, as part of the Orgelbüchlein Project, at St Brides' Fleet Street on 24th Sept.
- The premiere of the Wind Trio for flute, clarinet in Bb and horn or cor anglais, by the South Florida Chamber Ensemble at Deerfield Beach, Florida on Sunday, 21st August.
- The premiere of the trio, Ribbons & Streamers II, at the International Harp Congress, 2022, at the RWCMD, Cardiff, by Lucy Driver, flute, Jamie Howe, viola, and Mared Pugh-Evans, harp, on 28th July.
- Spring Diary, five songs, to texts by Anne Stevenson, by James Atkinson, tenor, and Sholto Kynoch, piano, at the Gower Festival on 8th July.
- Before Dawn for medium voice and piano, one of Rhian's most performed works, by Ekaterina Maslakova, soprano and Rachel Toh, in Nuremberg, Germany, on 5th July.
- A concert at the Royal Academy of Music London on Friday, 17 June, given by Margarida Vaz Neto, Ben Finley, Emanuele Addis and Ekaterina Grabova. Four pieces, including the first live performance of Orpheus and the new version of Ribbons and Streamers I, for cello and guitar.
- Four concerts by the Tailleferre Ensemble featuring two of Rhian's pieces for winds: Redlands Suite (ob, cl, bsn) and LIttle Duos for oboe and cor anglais.
- Three performances of The Moon and I, four songs for soprano and piano, in St Louis Missouri, USA, by Leann Shuering, the first with Jonathan Heaney and two more with Gail Hintz.
- Dear Night for SATB chorus, the BBC Singers, conductor James Sherlock, recorded for broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
- Songs of Earth and Air: the vocal works of Rhian Samuel (Lorelt). A CD made by Jeremy Huw Williams, baritone, Paula Fan, piano, and instrumentalists on the Faculty of The University of Arizona. Works on the disc are Songs of Earth & Air, Spring Diary, Moon over Maenefa, Summer Songs, A Swift Radiant Morning and Rondeau. A total of 18 songs. Many thanks to Jeremy for his initiative in creating this CD, and to all who supported it, including a number of British Trusts.
- Rhian's Violin Sonata, played by Mary Hofman and Richard Ormrod, on Tŷ Cerdd's disc, Unbroken Threads, launched at Powis Hall, Bangor, on 5th September, 2022.
- The Shape of Trees (2020) for SATB chorus, commissioned by the BBC for the BBC Singers, part of 'The Seven Ages of Woman' on the complementary CD released with BBC Music Magazine, June 2021 issue.
- Tŷ Cerdd's anthology of contemporary Welsh song, Taliesin's Songbook (TCR031) includes the solo soprano version of Rhian's 'Yr Alarch'. Great review of the work and Elin Manahan Thomas's performance in BBC Music Magazine, September 2021.
- Salve Nos for solo viola, newly commissioned for the CD of Berlin-based Hiyoli Togawa, Songs of Solitude (BIS). Wonderful performance!